Growing up stuffed cabbage rolls were one of those dishes I despised.They where the kind of overcooked and bland food served in school cafeterias or a hospital cantine,nothing you would ever want to make at home.But how easily things can change.These cabbage rolls are probably the most delicious thing I made so far in 2019.I usually share all of my food but these were just too hard to give away.I ate almost the entire tray by myself.
They are stuffed with a mixture of caramelized onions and carrots,mashed chickpeas and a tiny splash of tamari,for some umami and then drizzled in brown (vegan) butter.I'm obsessed.
It's a quite a straight forward recipe,so you can make it when you're having people over for dinner and don't have time to cook or even if you just cook dinner for yourself.The leftovers,if you have any,make a great packed lunch the next day.Just heat them up in a frying pan or the oven.
I hope you enjoy this recipe,let me know if you decide to make it!You can tag me on Instagram or use the hashtag #aboutthatfood.I love seeing your creations!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Peel and chop the onions.
- Add to the pan and fry while stirring until they turn translucent,then add the carrots.Cook both until they start to caramelize,add a little maple syrup to help the process along.Then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl add the chickpeas add the lemon juice and tamari and mash the chickpeas using a potato masher or a fork.
- Then add the carrots and onions.Crush the garlic and add it as well.Then season with salt & pepper.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a simmer and add the cabbages leaves for a few seconds so they begin to soften.
Place about 2 tbsp of filling on each cabbage leave and then roll them up.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Re-heat the pan you used for the onions and carrots,add some more oil if necessary and fry the cabbages rolls on each side for about 2 minutes.
- Place the cabbage rolls in a small ovenproof dish and bake for about 25 minutes.
- In the meantime place the butter in a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until it starts to brown.
- Chop and toast the hazelnuts in a separate dry pan.
- Once the cabbage rolls come out of the oven,drizzle with brown butter and sprinkle the hazelnuts on top before serving.