I have finally found the time to upload the recipe for this delicious date & chocolate cake.I had intended on posting this recipe already weeks ago,but life or in my case work got in the way,and now it has taken me way longer then I wanted to,to upload this post.But better late than never!
I had initially made it on the day of New Year's Eve and brought it to a dinner party I was invited to that night.Bringing recipes,I am currently testing to parties or dinners is always the ultimate test for any recipe and you get to spoil your friends with (hopefully) delicious food,which is still the best part about making any dish.The cake was received pretty well;I a message the next day from a friend telling me how much she loved it.
I originally had the idea for this recipe because I wanted to make a sticky pudding,but with chocolate and not for Christmas,and this is how the cake came to be.I added some cocoa powder and adjusted a few other ingredients and baked it inside a cake tin.The icing came together entirely by accident;I don't even remember what I wanted to achieve initially,I think some type of chocolate syrup.What I ended up with was this amazing,shiny and delicious chocolate icing,which is so simple and perfect for any kind of chocolate cake or even cookies!
I hope you guys like the recipe!Let me know if you decide to make it at home;I love seeing your creations!You can tag me on Instagram,send me a message or use the hashtag #aboutthatfood.
Date & Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the dates into little cubes and place into a bowl.Cover with 175ml boiling water and set aside to soak.
- In a large bowl mix the cake flour with baking powder,cocoa powder and salt.
- In a seperate bowl add the butter and the sugar,using a hand mixer,whisk until soft and creamy.
- Then add the soy milk,honey and apple cider vinegar and mix until well incorporated.
- Now start slowly adding the flour mix,while whisking continuously.
- By now the dates will have almost dissolved in the hot water.You can now gently fold them into the cake batter.
- Grease a small cake tin,about 20cm diameter,and add the cake batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35mins.
- Then take it out of the oven and let it cool down for about 20 minutes before removing it from the cake tin.
- Next melt the chocolate over a double boiler.Once the chocolate is melted quickly stir int he maple sirup.Stir until the sirup is well incorporated and you are left with a shiny,syrupy icing.Then pour over the cake immediately and spread out with a spatula.Let the icing dry for a couple of minutes before serving the cake.